Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Other Women

To start off I'll show you one my creations. I made this longboard some time ago and it has treated me very well. I would even say it is the best board I have ever surfed. My wife calls it the other women, so now I do too. This was the third surfboard that I shaped and the second that I fiberglassed. It's a little beat up now and I'm thinking of re-making it before it dies. The finished dimensions are 9'-3" length, 16" nose, 22.5" wide pulled back 12", 16.5" tail, 3.125" thick and a 4.5" square tail block. The rails are 50/50 and pinched and the bottom is rolled like a hull. The custom color job is spray paint and some people have said that it looks like a giant wiener. I made the board for my local beach break waves in mind but it does well at the points and reefs as well. I made the fin out of 1/2" thick marine ply which is my favorite material for making fins. The fin is 12" at the base and 10" in height with a traditional foil. I refer to the fin template as the Happy D. Most people are surprised that it's not as stiff as one might think.
-MR

No comments: